5 Things we Learned from Zenit St. Petersburg vs Borrusia Dortmund
1. Marco Rues is an incredible player but he has been out with a muscular injury for a while. The trainer still decided to start Marco Rues on tuesday agains Zenit St. Petersburg and his decision paid off. Rues made a great run to set up and assist Borussia Dortmund’s first goal and shortly after that he scored a goal of his own. Macro Rues is back and ready to carry his team through the rest of the champions league.
2. Although Borussia Dortmund got the win over Zenit St. Petersburg, Borussia Dortmund are going to really need to step up their game if they want to continue to win and move on in the tournament. Zenit St. Petersburg made some sloppy errors early in the game that Borussia Dortmund was able to capitalize on. Borussia Dortmund scored two very early goals but after that they played much more sloppy. Both times that Zenit St. Petersburg scored Borussia Dortmund was able to come back quickly to move their lead up again but against better teams they would not be able to do that. Borussia Dortmund must improve their focus.
3. The Result of the game was much more impressive for Borussia Dortmund than their performance. After the early goals BVB had little to offer. They lost a lot of focus after their early goals. In the end, their had very clinical finished that ended up sealing the victory.
4. Lewandowski, Borussia Dortmund’s striker, is truly a level above. many of his teammates. BVB had many problems in the defense and midfield but their offense stood strong and led them to the victory. Lewandowski put away two impressive goals one after another as Zenit St. Petersburg tried to fight back into the game. Against Zenit St. Petersburg Lewandowski showed that he can come up big when his team needs it most.
5. Zenit St. Petersburg’s Hulk, is an extremely talented player but his selfishness and individualism helped BVB win the game. Hulk was constantly trying to take players one on one instead of looking of for the pass. When he tried to pass he often tried to do something flashy that did not quit work. He also took just about every set piece no matter how badly he missed the target. Hulk was an entertainer when Zenit St. Petersburg needed a quality soccer player.